Omega-3 fatty acids are many nutritionists’ #1 recommended supplement, and they didn’t make the top of the list by accident. These essential fatty acids (EFA), found in cold-water fish oil, are nothing short of miraculous in their powers to heal and restore.
Recent research shows that the best fish oil supplements provide the following benefits:
1. Anti-inflammatory. Works almost as well as Advil.
2. Increases insulin sensitivity. Translation: helps reverse diabetes.
3. Reduces cholesterol
4. Reduces blood pressure
5. Reduces stroke risk by 50%
6. Lowers triglycerides (the fat floating around in your blood)
7. Lowers risk of death, heart attack and abnormal heart rhythms
8. Reduces joint stiffness, increases grip strength and increases walking pace for people with arthritis
9. Reduces osteoporosis (soft bones), and can actually increase bone density
10. Reduces symptoms of bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, ADHD, skin disorders, inflammatory bowel disease, asthma, macular degeneration, menstrual pain…
11. Reduces risk of breast and prostate cancer
REMEMBER: Not all fish oil supplements are created equal.
Since nutritional supplements are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the quality of supplements can vary widely in quality of the ingredients. These variations can range from the potency of the active ingredients (the purity and effectiveness), to the molecular form (some are more bio-available and absorbed better than others), to consistency of dose from pill to pill (some pills in a bottle might have 100 mg of active ingredient, other pills in the same bottle might have 5 mg, for example), to presence of ingredients not listed on the label, or even having ingredients listed on the label that aren’t present in the pills.
For this reason I advise my patients to purchase their nutritional supplements from either Whole Foods Market, or from People’s Pharmacy. While these aren’t the only places you can purchase high-quality supplements, both of these sellers pre-screen all nutritional products they stock in the store, so that you know you can’t go wrong with any selection you make there.
If you’re not already getting essential fatty acids as part of your regular diet, consider getting these “good fats” in the form of a high-quality supplement, and let us know how you like them in the comments section!